Friday 6 March 2015

Meeting with John Watters

Yesterday I met with John to get some advice on how to approach my application to the MA in Advertising and Design that I am keen to apply for.

I was mainly seeking some help on how to go about my personal statement, something I haven't written since applying to Leeds College of Art three years ago. I was keen to make it punchy and memorable but I wasn't sure of how much I should be writing, and whether I should explain me as a designer, or my manifesto or something entirely different.

John's advice was extremely helpful, and he clarified what I should be covering in my personal statement. He assured me that it didn't need to be a short essay and could be as much as a paragraph. He went on to say that I should make a point of why I want to do the course, why I would be suited to it and why it would be suited to me. He advised I mention my plans for moving forward after the course if I get on, and where my interests within the field lie.

He also said it might be a good idea to come up with what I want to say, and then design the paragraph. He assured me that this would make it memorable because, even if other applicants designed their applications with paying attention to layout, mine would still look different to everyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment