Tuesday 14 October 2014

Extended Practice Tutorial

Today I had a tutorial with Danny in which I wanted to discuss a few of my briefs, as I had some concerns that they may not have been varied enough. While I am interesting in going into Branding and Identity I thought that my branding briefs were too similar. However after talking to Danny I was reassured that if this was the field I wanted to go into then it was a plus to do a lot of them, and to bare in mind that the content is not similar so the outcomes will be varied.

I had some other reservations about my Film brief (to make a series of minimalist film posters based on one actor/director), mainly as I was struggling to find the actor/director I wanted to base them on. I didn't wan't to go down a route that I thought could be quite expected (eg, Tarantino, Hitchcock, Dicaprio, Freeman).

I chose this brief as I found a similar one online asking designers to create a commemorative poster design of a Robin Williams film. I didn't initially want to do Williams as I felt it would be harder to find variation in his films as they are primarily comedy. After expressing this concern to Danny, he liked the idea of doing something on Robin Williams, and suggested I found a way around the comedy, also featuring some of his more serious psychological thrillers, eg., Insomnia, One Hour Photo. After giving this some thought, I found myself agreeing that I could vary his films myself, choosing more serious aspects in his comedies, and maybe find the humorous side of his darker films.

I found tht after talking to Danny I had much more direction with a couple of my briefs and was given a good starting point for the Film brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment